Society of Friends
If you are interested in Britain’s maritime heritage and particularly inspired by the story of the Royal Navy we invite you to join the Museum’s Society of Friends.
The Friends were formed in 1976 to support the newly created Royal Naval Museum – Now the National Museum of the Royal Navy, Portsmouth, and have assisted by helping to finance specific projects, purchasing and collecting important items and providing volunteers to assist in projects, events and other activities of the Museum and the ship. Volunteers also crew the Museum’s Steam Pinnace at local regattas and events.
Privileges of membership include
• Free admission to the National Museum of The Royal Navy, Portsmouth
• Free admission to HMS Victory
• Free admission to HMS M33
Projects that have been supported and funded by the Friends include:
- The quarter scale model of HMS Victory’s original figurehead located at the entrance to the Victory Gallery
- Replicated artefacts and display models for HMS Victory
- A state of the art book scanner for the Museum
- Key liaison and outreach visits for Museum staff
- Funding of the centrepiece video for the Hear My Story exhibition
To join the Friends, please complete the application form.
For queries about becoming a member of the Friends, please contact:
Tel: 02392 251589